Located at BPRC, the 41-foot rock-like freestanding pinnacle is located in the rotunda of the building. Sculptured and custom holds are embedded throughout the wall, and an overhang will challenge even the advanced climber. Note: Climbers must wear sturdy closed-toe shoes. Crocs, sandals, and skirts are not allowed on the wall. Due to COVID, no "spectators" are allowed unless a participant is 6 years old or younger and needs to be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Currently, we are only allowing liquid chalk with an alcohol solution, this can be bought at the front desk for $12.
All climbing is at Buchanan Park Recreation Center (BPRC)
Patrons MUST be belay-certified by EPRD to climb during reservable slots as climbing instructors are not currently available to assist with open climbing.
Adult Climbing Class
Adult Climbing Class (18 Plus Years)
- Learn techniques while developing strength and endurance
- Learn belay techniques and understand the basics of climbing and climbing terminology
- All skill levels are welcome
- No experience or previous climbing knowledge is required
No adult classes currently available
Sport Climbing Class (16 Plus Years)
- Learn risk management plus lead belay and climbing technique
- Prerequisite: Must have ability to climb a 5.8 on top rope
No sport climbing classes currently available
Belay-certified climbers are permitted to climb during open hours (with a reservation) when a climbing instructor is present. If harnesses are needed, they are available to rent (for an additional fee) at the Buchanan Park Recreation Center (BPRC) front desk.
- Learn the techniques necessary to belay safely and become a belay certified climber on the BPRC pinnacle
- Must pass the belay certification exam within three days after completing lesson
- Fees: $20 for District Residents and $25 Non-District Residents
Belay & Auto Belay Certification (16 Plus Years)
- The certification process gives three chances to demonstrate techniques learned
- Belay certification required to belay another climbing participant
- Once completed you will be issued a belay certification pass (valid for one year)
- Fees: $11 for District Residents and $14 for Non-District Residents
The new auto belay system will allow the experienced climber to come in and get that needed workout on the pinnacle without needing to have a partner to belay them. To be able to use the auto belay system during non-open climbing hours climbers will need to go through our belay certification process.
Climbing is by reservations only at this time. Patrons must be belay-certified by EPRD to climb during reservable slots as climbing instructors are not available to assist with open climbing.